Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Give, people give, I don't know who gives? From the Daily Herald:

"Gov. Rod Blagojevich recently faced criticism from a watchdog group that his administration is doling out state contracts to people who donated to his campaign. The governor said nothing unethical occurred because he doesn't pay attention to who's giving him money; therefore, it couldn't influence decisions.
'Another thing that I get to do now as governor is I don't do any fund-raising anymore. I just go to the events. So I don't know who does it - you know, who's doing it, who's contributing,' Blagojevich claimed.
Yet his campaign raised more than $5 million in the final six months of 2003 and he continues to attend high-profile fund-raising events both in Illinois and in California. He doesn't face re-election until 2006. Reporters asked Blagojevich if he really had no idea what people were doing at those gatherings.
'Wait a minute. Whenever any of us show up at a fund-raiser, we obviously know people are making contributions,' Blagojevich explained. 'What I'm saying is, I don't get involved in the detail of who's giving me money or how much. I don't know that. I don't ask that. I haven't made a single one of these types of (fund-raising) phone calls since I've been governor.'"

-- Yeah, you don't know who is making donations. I am so not buying that.

No comments: