Tuesday, May 04, 2004

TheStar.com - U.S. eyes proposal to draft women: "The chief of the U.S. Selective Service System has proposed registering women for the military draft and requiring that young Americans regularly inform the government about whether they have training in niche specialties needed in the armed services.
The proposal, which the agency's acting director Lewis Brodsky presented to senior Pentagon officials just before the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, also seeks to extend the age of draft registration to 34, up from 25."

-- Is this good? As the father of a son and a daughter I would have to say no.

The very idea of drafting women bothers me, call me a sexist pig. Fine. As a man I was always aware of the fact that I could be drafted if my nation ever needed me and I was comfortable with that. May not have liked it, but I was comfortable with it. Other family members had been drafted or joined the military on their own so I always felt on a level a resposibility to step up if I was called. However I would have felt really awkward if a woman had been drafted to serve and I would have been able to stay home. I can't really explain my logic on this since there is no logic behind it. It's just a feeling.

As for the 34 thing, well I am going to be 35 here in a few months so that will not impact me. I just wonder how many guys keep their registration info up to date until age 25.

OneMan

No comments: