Sunday, May 09, 2004

Unsafe at any speed.

Back in March there was an accident near my house that resulted in two people being killed. I live at little over a couple of miles in the other direction from the site than Rick does. Follow the Rick link to the story about the acident. As well as some interesting comentary on the posting by Rick.

It turns out the one drvier had been ticketed 27 times since 1999 acording to this in-depth story from Beacon News.

A couple of things I would like to find out that the story did not cover.

First, what judge gave him his license back? Should he have been drving after so may tickets in the past 5 years?
I don't know what judge did and I look forward to finding out so if I ever meet the judge at a fundrasier or other event I get the chance to ask why? As for the should he have kept his license I think the answer is no.... At some point enough moving violations should cost you your license for an exented period.

Secondly is this guys history and his postings on a message board being held against him and are they going to bias any trial against him. I don't know if the postings of anyone should be taken as anything more that someone trying to seem cool, it seems some people have been using his posts as some sort of evidence that they guy was unsafe behind the wheel, whereas it may have just been some guy trying to act cool.


The point I am trying to make here is that they guy may have demonstrated that he was not mature enough to be behind the wheel of a car, that doesn't mean he was at fault in this acident and we should wait to see what all of the evidence has to say.

For disclosure I have gotten 2 tickets in the past 17 years. (One for failure to reduce speed to prevent an acident about 10 years ago and a speeding ticket about 5.5 years ago).

Another interesting side note on this is the amount of postings that Rick is still getting on his post on the subject.

OneMan