Friday, September 24, 2004

Chicago Tribune | Obama opposes gay marriage: "'I'm a Christian, and so although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman,'' Obama said.

But the Democratic state senator added that he does not understand people who say gay marriage somehow threatens the sanctity of marriage as an institution."

-- snip --

Rick Garcia, political director for the gay rights group Equality Illinois, said it is disturbing that Obama gives such nuanced responses when he's far enough ahead in the polls that he could take a stand for gay marriage.

But Garcia said most gay and lesbian voters still support Obama, particularly because of his opponent's vehement stand against homosexuality.

-- Ummm, I sort of have to agree with Obama on this.

Interesting that they are kind of busting his chops on it. My next question is.. Will this hurt the perception of Obama as the 'Great Liberal Hope'? I think it would be easier for him just to come out in favor of it, unless he is thinking of something bigger down the road.

OneMan

No comments: