Thursday, February 16, 2006

Why I Love Aurora...

The Becaon News is asking for essays on this very subject so I thought I might do one and I figured this was as good of a place to work on it as anyplace.

Why I Love Aurora.

I Love Aurora because my kids can grow up here knowing other kids who are from different backgrounds and have parents from all over the world. On my street on the far SE corner of Kane County I have neighbors from several countries and at least 3 or 4 corners of the world.

I Love Aurora for it's sense of drive and hustle. Go to downtown Aurora, an area much bemoaned by some. It is not downtown Naperville, thankfully (don't get me wrong I love downtown Naperville) but walk around downtown Aurora. Small business that are not part of chains but where real people put up their own capital and try to make their idea work. The very esense of what makes America great. Drive around town and see the small bakeries, restaurants, the guy with a truck hauling furniture, The Wurst Kitchen. Small business all over the place some that have been around for over 110 years, some that have been around for 2 weeks all trying to make it.

I Love Aurora for it's people. In the 12 years I have lived here it has been an honor to get to know a number of great people. People who love this town and want to make it better. If they are folks who have lived here 60 years or 60 days. People who even though they may disagree on how to make Aurora a better city, they want to make it a better city and do their part via churches, clubs and neighborhoods. People who have the same dream that my father had, the same dream I have that with an education and hard work their kids can do a little better in the world then they have and work to make the world a better place than it was when they got there. People who don't judge someone's value by the size of their house but of the character of the people who live there.

I Love Aurora for it's housing. No matter how bad some of the houses look on any street there will always be at least one well maintained beautiful home on the street. Beautiful old houses that have stories to be told. Homes to nice to ever be torn down an be replaced with a mcmansion. New homes on the edges of the city where young families can start and grow.

Still a work in progress tell me what you think.

OneMan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The language police will give you a warning for this one: It's means it is. Its is the possessive.