Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Beacon has the story on the proposed anti-robocall legislation.

Interesting idea, I don't think it is unnecessarily a bad idea. I don't think anyone who is active in politics is a real fan on the robocall, the one big advantage is if you have a voice with 'star-power' think Obama, Hastert, Bush I think it can be an effective way to get folks attention.

However I wonder if the law would have made the call I got from Foster after the election informing me he was going to be at a local Jewel illegal?

I would suggest they add something that says if I give a group the right to auto-call me they can do so even if I am on the list.

The only other thing is technology may get ahead of the curve as it is, like virtual phone banking that the Obama campaign is doing now. The next logical step with this is VOIP so you sit at home, put on a headset and start making calls.

Now imagine interest groups (unions, PACs, etc) having their members around the country doing this for targeted races. I suspect down the road you will have the same issue with live calls and there will be calls to put these under the standard no-call rules.

Or pay folks per call, you could have a large virtual workforce who works from home that you can have on call when you need them.

I doubt it will pass because all sorts of forces are going to be against it without a 'we can call our members/list regardless' exemption.

OneMan

1 comment:

Shaun said...

Bottom line is that robo calls really don't work.

As I testified at the US Senate 2.27 These calls are an epidemic and are invading the privacy of All American Voters.

Our members are taking a stand and saying enough is enough at the National Political Do Not Contact Registry at StopPoliticalCalls.org.

Here is a quote from a member this morning:

"I find it very frustrating... I tend to get calls at the WORST time. I have a one year old daughter, and it NEVER fails that the phone will ring when I put her down for a nap or for bed. Also my vote is PRIVATE... so who do you think you are calling with a survey to find out who I am voting for!!! Stop calling me."

Regards,

Shaun Dakin
CEO and Founder
http://www.stoppoliticalcalls.org