Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thoughts on the 5th...

Besides the personal entertainment value of watching others deal with a special election this one has been kind of fun to watch. Why? In part because it has not attracted a ton of MSM attention so it has been sort of a little political geek secret. Also because I know and have met some of the players (more so on the Democratic side than the Republican side).

So here are some thoughts.

First I have to admit I like the way Bowen has tried to engage the other candidates on twitter and Sarah's silence in response to questions has been a bit of a surprise. I have blogged about this before .

Secondly, Rep. Fritchey. I have met him a couple of times and he has come across as a really cool guy, yeah I know he is a politician and they have a tendency to do that. But when I took my daughter down to Springfield a couple of years ago, he was nice enough to talk to us (a suburban Republican and his daughter) and did the same last year. Again for a Republican way outside his district. He didn't have to but he did and I think that says quite a bit about him.

Also he was a early legislative blogger as well as an early Blago critic, both big pluses in my eyes. We are coming back down on April 29th (oneson will be with us this time) and I have to say I kind of hope we can't meet Rep Fritchey when we come down because he will be legislating in a different location.
Publish Post


Thrid, the number of candidates. With the number of Dems running, it is making picking this race hard. Also some of 'the rest' seem rather creditable when it comes down to it, you don't see that every day.

No comments: