Monday, October 14, 2013

Why I Am Not Sure I Am A Republican Anymore...

Been giving this a lot of thought, even though I will likely vote in the Republican primary and will most likely support the Republican nominee for Governor, but when it comes down to it in many ways I am not sure I am in sync with the Republican party...

Social Issues:  It seems to me when I was a younger man and a lad growing up in Illinois, candidates for statewide office did not make a big deal about social issues.  I mean, I think Governor Thompson was pro-choice, but I really couldn't tell you.  It isn't that don't have feeling about these issues, I am just not sure if we can legislate solutions and/or I don't feel strongly enough about them to use them to decide who I am going to vote for.

I want less government, but I want government to try to do what we currently want/need it to do. I understand the path to less government is to basically fund government less to some degree. But we need to do that by winning elections, not by holding our breath until we turn blue...

It seems to me that too many folks want government to stop doing everything that they personally do not take advantage of. Folks seem very quick to want to cut that stuff that does not seem to directly benefit themselves. It seems the attitude of some people is, when it comes down to it is 'It sucks to be you'. That everyone besides themselves are in a basic way, takers and they alone (or only those who agree with them) are givers and by extension also somehow better Americans.

Wow, nice rant OneMan, so why the doubt, why not just say you are not a Republican...

Because, when it comes down to it. I want government to do less in many areas.  My feelings are not driven by a belief in free markets alone (that is part of it), I feel when the government steps into things it virtually never gets out and continues to grow and grow in such a way to protect those who directly benefit from the government intervention and they in turn work to increase their benefit from the system, to the detriment of others.  Chicago's food truck rules are a prime example.

S


No comments: