Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What Really Worries Me About A 'Fair Tax' In Illinois...


It isn't fundamentally that I am going to pay more in state income taxes,  I have long resigned myself to the idea that the temporary increase is not temporary and my property taxes will continue to rise and that odds are the income tax rate is going to go up at some point in the near future...

What worries me and why I would vote against it if it comes up on the ballot is that it would be the Illinois legislature that would approve the rates and the brackets.  The same folks who have grossly underfunded pensions and spent like 'drunken sailors' would be given the ability to raise taxes on only some people.  To be blunt, I don't think they can be trusted with that responsibility.  I can easily see where higher income brackets are taxed at a significantly higher rate than lower incomes because it will be easy politically.

Also don't kid yourself, this is about increasing (and making it easier to do so) state income, pure and simple and as this state has shown time and time again it does not use increasing revenues to address it's unpaid bills or fund it's pensions, it uses it to do new stuff.

No comments: