Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Political Lessons Of Tony Gwynn...

As I have been reading more and more about Tony Gwynn the last couple of days (I would recommend this one to start) there is a real political lesson for candidates to learn from him and it can be summed up in a single sentence.

Don't be a dick.

It sounds trivial, but ask any local political person, who walks their precinct , who watches a poll, who puts up yard signs about what they are looking for in a candidate.  I will tell you it comes down to who seems the most interested in you...

There is a local state senator, who now holds another office who is great at asking about the kids and seeming really interested in your answers. I disagree with him on stuff, even worked for someone who was running against him for a different office and got yelled at by him a few times during that time.  But you know what, he still asks about the kids, I suspect he thinks he can't trust me as far as he could toss me, but he is now and in some ways still nice to me.

There are two elected officials from a different party whose districts I used to be in (one of them I still am) and I remember being down in Springfield for a thing with a bunch of kids from the local district.  One of them was more than happy to talk to the group for a bit (even though she had just come out of Madigan's office) and when we were having some issue with the district gave me (the vice-chair of the other party) a e-mail address that I could reach her with more quickly in order to help.   Once she even said something really nice about my daughter, one of those things I recall years later...

The state senator could have cared less.  Couldn't be bothered to look up from her Blackberry when our group (from a SD in her district) was introduced by the same state senator who I worked against and didn't have the SD in his district.. Didn't have time to meet with us...

I will let you guess which one I would work harder to defeat (actually couldn't bring myself to even put up a sign for the Republican running against the state rep).




No comments: